Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Oh Dear

I'm frantically going through my notes from Introduction to the Legal System looking for detailed information on the original jurisdiction of the courts. According to my note from the first lecture "full set of notes enough to pass - no extra reading required". Woo hoo, you might well say. She couldn't have said fairer than that. Unfortunately my concentration appears to have lapsed quickly and two lectures later, all I have on the page are some doodles of a Hawker Hurricane shooting down an FW190 (I know, I know. As if!) and some people in sunglasses and cowboy hats, and what appears to be the first paragraph of a planned and particularly cliché 70s style science fiction paperback, written in the trademark beautiful script I can only achieve using a HB pencil. It reads:
There are few things beyond the clouds which cannot be obtained below them, but men, ever restless to seek pastures new and faraway hills, have hurled themselves at the firmament and gunned the engines of their atomic ships in the directions of Alpha Centauri and Betelgeuse, and yet other suns around which were thought to make their stately orbits planets of surpassing riches and unknown treasure; new worlds to conquer. They forgot the weeping Alexander who so many millenia ago knew that there were no more such worlds, that Man is in essence alone with himself. That men are alone with themselves. And if they did not know it before, many were they who discovered it in the cold no-place, the vast nothing among all stars, and they closed their minds to reason and went mad.
That's the last time I read Isaac Asimov when I'm supposed to be thinking about my future. Oh why, Lord, why?!

9 Comments:

Blogger EWI said...

Unfortunately my concentration appears to have lapsed quickly and two lectures later, all I have on the page are some doodles of a Hawker Hurricane and some people in sunglasses and cowboy hats

You know, I'm horribly familiar with that sinking realisation too... ;-)

5/16/2006 07:08:00 AM  
Blogger Fergal said...

In my own experience, Legal Systems was, despite being one of the "easier" first year subjects, rather hard to study for. This is because it's a bit boring - there are no problems to solve, so there's nothing to get your teeth into. You almost have to learn it by rote. But when the proximity of an exam increases the pressure, you'll find that it's actually fairly straightforward stuff. Good Luck!

5/16/2006 08:49:00 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

Laughing hard, darn I've just made the same mistake with much of the morning. I would have to be very generous to yesterday to say it was anything other than a write off.

5/16/2006 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger Copernicus said...

Thanks Fergal. I'm, er taking another quick break from trying to hoover up my facts on literal vs teleological approaches to statutory interpretation, probably the easiest thing to study. I'm going to try to cover ratio v obiter (Jesus Christ) and the disciplining of judges (thank you Judge Curtin). I'll probably be ok on reform of the profession and I'll have a look over European Court of Human Rights judgments and maybe juries and publicity. I I get through this, I'll be so grateful. Criminal at least you could just put the head down and plough through every logical bit of the course. Legal Systems is just a morass of handouts and half-hearted, irregular lecture notes. I will not skip classes next year.

Abh, remember the ant and the grasshopper. It's all fun and games until someone has to repeat in August.

5/16/2006 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Copernicus said...

If anyone would like to finish the novel, by the way, feel free. I'm a bit, er, busy.

5/16/2006 10:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you just have Land Law to contend with next. Guess that will be really meaningful to future existence, given the 80% will cease in relevance fairly soon.

5/17/2006 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger Copernicus said...

hoo hoo, an insider!

5/17/2006 11:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Everyone

I have made a Web site about central intelligence agency jobs.

I hope you check it out.

http://moti4u.com

10/01/2006 05:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Laser eye surgery cost in ohio christian financial planning Price comparison on resendital central air conditioners printer cartridges hp honda motorcycles how to format a harddrive free provider voip california paintball http://www.design-a-kitchen-cabinet.info Sharp fax ux-178 owner's manual G&n managerial accounting solutions manual New york city ny liposuction didrex online cod Mercury 640 camera battery replacement bingo Mpg for ford excursion 10 cylinder

4/24/2007 10:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home