Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Next up, Land Law

Managed to fight down the rising sense of panic yesterday - horrible tantrum at one point - and by 3 a.m. had covered four topics for this morning's exam. My helpful girlfriend drilled me extensively on the disciplining of the Judiciary, so I managed to parlay that into an eight page epic in the Dining Hall. I gave them short shrift. I got up at 6.30 a.m. to cover an "alternate" just in case the gods had it in for me and managed to get a pretty sound knowledge of the doctrine of precedent into my thick skull by 8.30. Then a quick shower, brekkie and on the bus down to the Inns. Shockingly, one of the guaranteed subjects was not on the paper, so I basically could have gone to bed last night at 1.30 instead of slaving over it like a gombeen. Something tells me the class was getting a dose of its own medicine off the lecuturer. What I like to call the "stupid question brigade" and she didn't exactly see eye to eye, although to an extent there was a pair of them in it. Well, they fucked things up royally for all and sundry. I have a note from my last lecture which says "There is a pattern on the papers, just go with that" as a direct quote. The pattern was juries/courts/juries/courts, except this year it went juries/civil and criminal legal aid! The canons of interpretation also made an appearance for the first time ever, despite a note in the exam report to the effect that "one student confused this with the presumptions of interpretation, which was not asked". That basically left anyone with a prepared question on the presumptions of interpretation with half a question. Thankfully, yours truly had no room in his memory banks for all that latin and lecture notes revealed that I didn't make it in those days, so I had four questions which I was quite happy with, and was spared vicarious liability for the torts of my classmates. My hand is very sore, which is worrying. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next four exams plus all that note taking. It's hard to believe that ten years ago, I had to sit two three-hour sessions a day during the exam season. It's kind of scary that the old bod is protesting and I still so tender of years. It might be something to do with being left-handed. Apparently, we push the pen across the page, and sort of grind the nib down into the paper. Certainly, my hand was stuck in a claw-like state for about 20 minutes after I left the hall. I've tried to hold it lightly - as I have when playing the guitar - but I can't get the knack. God, please don't be arthritis, you bastard. Next stop, the horrors of Land Law. This time, I really am going down in flames. Speaking of flames, is Blazen Hazen the new "I kiss you"? It is dearly to be wished that the answer is yes!

8 Comments:

Blogger Copernicus said...

For some reason, since I ported this blog to wordpress (where things went a bit wrong) and then repasted the template in blogger, none of my formatting is coming out. The whole place looks like shit.

5/17/2006 11:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Land Law. Mmmmmm.

Just read Wylie a couple of times before you go to slumber.

5/17/2006 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger Cian said...

It might be something to do with being left-handed. Apparently, we push the pen across the page, and sort of grind the nib down into the paper

That explains it!! I wonder why i am subject to such pain when the others seem fine. At last something to blame!!!
Good luck with the rest too.

5/17/2006 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

Ah, interesting. I ended up with a new template entirely. Did know how to transpose the old. Am getting better at Java but it's still all trial and error. More error really than anything. Would love to send my blogger template to blogs.ie. I'll probably have to wait until I have the skills to just merge the better features of the two templates.

5/17/2006 01:31:00 PM  
Blogger Anon said...

or "didn't know" rather...you can see why I was less than impressive as a temp legal secretary.

5/17/2006 01:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a touch of arthritis in the upper palms of both hands - though i feel it far more in the right (probably because i'm not a citeog), dad has the same- though far worse - and grandma's hands were absolutely crippled by it in the end, as you know.
not of course that you have anything to worry about......
best o'luck withexams

5/18/2006 01:19:00 AM  
Blogger Copernicus said...

Thanks bro.

But I think I'd know by now if it was the dreaded arthritis with the guitar playing and the day-long touch typing...wouldn't I?!

5/18/2006 04:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
» »

7/18/2006 02:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home